Bernard Stapelfeld Death was a 19-year-old freshman at James Madison University (JMU) in Harrisonburg, Virginia, who died in a campus residence hall on November 9, 2023. He was found unresponsive in his room in Frederikson Hall, a dormitory in the Village area of the campus, around 6:30 a.m. by his roommate. He was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency personnel. The cause and manner of his death are still under investigation by the local authorities.
Stapelfeld was a native of Pennsylvania who had just started his college journey at JMU. He was majoring in computer science and had a passion for gaming and programming. He had a YouTube channel where he posted videos of himself playing various first-person shooter games and The Walking Dead. He was also a fan of Star Wars and Marvel movies. He was described by his friends and family as a smart, funny, and kind person who loved to make others laugh and smile. He was a loyal and caring friend who always supported and helped his peers.
How did Bernard Stapelfeld die?
The exact cause and manner of Bernard Stapelfeld’s death are still unknown. The police have not released any details about the circumstances surrounding his death, except that there were no signs of foul play or violence. The coroner’s office is conducting an autopsy and toxicology tests to determine the cause and manner of his death1. The results may take several weeks to be completed.
How did JMU respond to Bernard Stapelfeld’s death?
JMU issued a statement on its website and social media platforms expressing its condolences to Stapelfeld’s family, friends, and loved ones. The statement also said that the university is providing counseling and support services to the students and staff who are affected by this tragic loss. JMU President Jonathan Alger also sent an email to the campus community, urging them to reach out to the available resources and to take care of themselves and each other.
Bernard Stapelfeld: A Young Student Who Died in a Campus Residence Hall 2023
How can I pay tribute to Bernard Stapelfeld?
There are several ways to pay tribute to Bernard Stapelfeld and to honor his memory. Some of them are:
- Sending flowers, cards, or donations to his family. His obituary will be published soon with the details of his funeral arrangements and his preferred charities.
- Sharing your memories, photos, or videos of him on social media platforms using the hashtag #RIPBernardStapelfeld.
- Signing his online guestbook and leaving a message of condolence or support for his family and friends.
- Joining his memorial service or vigil, if there is any, organized by his family, friends, or JMU.
- Wearing his favorite colors or clothing items, such as a Star Wars or Marvel t-shirt, to show your respect and admiration for him.