David Rotenberg was a Canadian artist, author, and artistic director who died on November 9, 2023, at the age of 64. He was the founder and director of the Professional Actors Lab in Toronto, where he taught and mentored many actors. He was also a prolific writer who published several novels, including the Shanghai series and the Junction Chronicles. He was a respected and influential figure in the Canadian artistic scene and beyond.
Who is David Rotenberg ?
David Rotenberg was born on June 14, 1959, in Toronto, Ontario. He graduated from York University with a degree in theatre studies. He then moved to New York City, where he directed two Broadway shows and worked with actors such as William Hurt, Cynthia Nixon, and Christopher Plummer. He returned to Toronto in 1987 and continued to direct theatre productions, as well as films and television shows. He also taught acting and directing at York University, Ryerson University, and the University of Toronto. In 1998, he founded the Professional Actors Lab, a studio that offered training and coaching for actors of all levels. He was known for his innovative and rigorous teaching methods, as well as his supportive and inspiring attitude. He helped many actors to develop their skills and achieve their goals. Some of his students include Scott Speedman, Rachel McAdams, and Tatiana Maslany.
In addition to his work in theatre and film, David Rotenberg was a successful author. He wrote five mystery novels set in modern China, featuring the detective Zhong Fong. The novels are The Shanghai Murders, The Hua Shan Hospital Murders, The Hamlet Murders, The Golden Mountain Murders, and The Beijing Murders. He also wrote a historical fiction novel called Shanghai, which tells the story of four generations of a Jewish family in China. His latest series was the Junction Chronicles, a sci-fi thriller set in a dystopian Toronto. The series consists of four books: The Guilty Plea, The Placebo Effect, The Glass House, and The Stranger. His novels were praised for their rich and complex plots, vivid characters, and authentic settings. He was also working on a memoir before his death.
David Rotenberg Death
David Rotenberg died on November 9, 2023, at the age of 64, after a long and fulfilling life. He was surrounded by his loving family and friends, who will miss him dearly. His death was announced on social media by his colleagues and students, who expressed their sadness and gratitude for his mentorship and friendship. Many people shared their memories of David and how he influenced their lives and careers. David Rotenberg left behind a legacy of creativity, passion, and excellence. He touched many lives and made a positive impact on the artistic community and the society. He will be remembered as a visionary, a leader, and a gentleman.
- Q: When and where was David Rotenberg born?
- A: David Rotenberg was born on June 14, 1959, in Toronto, Ontario.
- Q: When and how did David Rotenberg die?
- A: David Rotenberg died on November 9, 2023, at the age of 64, surrounded by his family and friends.
- Q: What was David Rotenberg’s occupation?
- A: David Rotenberg was an artist, author, and artistic director. He was the founder and director of the Professional Actors Lab in Toronto. He also wrote several novels, including the Shanghai series and the Junction Chronicles.
- Q: What were some of David Rotenberg’s achievements and awards?
- A: David Rotenberg directed two Broadway shows and worked with many famous actors. He also published several novels that were bestsellers and received critical acclaim. He was nominated for the Arthur Ellis Award, the Dashiell Hammett Prize, and the City of Toronto Book Award. He was also awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his contribution to the arts.