Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Death, a renowned linguist and professor at Georgia Tech, passed away on October 31, 2023, after a long battle with cancer. She was 47 years old. Dr. Lawrence was a pioneer in the field of speech and natural language processing, and a passionate advocate for diversity and inclusion in STEM. Her death has left a huge void in the academic world and the hearts of her colleagues, students, friends, and family.
Who was Dr. Halcyon Lawrence?
Dr. Halcyon Lawrence was born in Trinidad and Tobago, where she developed a love for languages and cultures at an early age. She moved to the United States to pursue her higher education, earning a bachelor’s degree in computer science from Spelman College, a master’s degree in human-computer interaction from Georgia Tech, and a PhD in linguistics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
She joined the faculty of Georgia Tech in 2016 as an assistant professor of interactive computing. She taught courses on natural language processing, speech technology, human-computer interaction, and user experience design. She also led the Speech Lab at Georgia Tech, where she conducted cutting-edge research on how humans and machines communicate through speech and language.
Dr. Lawrence was an expert on voice user interfaces, such as smart speakers, voice assistants, and chatbots. She was interested in how these technologies can be designed to be more inclusive, accessible, and respectful of diverse users and contexts. She also explored how voice user interfaces can be used to support social good, such as education, health care, and civic engagement.
Dr. Lawrence was a prolific scholar, publishing over 40 peer-reviewed papers in prestigious journals and conferences. She also received several awards and honors for her research and teaching excellence, such as the NSF CAREER Award, the Google Faculty Research Award, the CRA-WP Graduate Cohort Workshop Mentor Award, and the Georgia Tech Diversity Champion Award.
Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Death: Towson University Assistant Professor
How did Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Death?
Dr. Halcyon Lawrence was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer in 2020. She underwent several rounds of chemotherapy and surgery, but the cancer spread to her liver and lungs. She continued to work and teach until her condition worsened in October 2023. She passed away peacefully at her home on October 31, 2023, surrounded by her loved ones.
Dr. Lawrence’s death was announced by the Georgia Tech College of Computing on November 1, 2023. The announcement expressed deep sorrow and gratitude for Dr. Lawrence’s contributions to the college and the field of computing. It also shared some tributes from her colleagues and students, who remembered her as a brilliant researcher, a dedicated teacher, a generous mentor, a kind friend, and a loving mother.
- Q: Who was Dr. Halcyon Lawrence?
- A: Dr. Halcyon Lawrence was a linguist and professor at Georgia Tech who specialized in speech and natural language processing.
- Q: How did Dr. Halcyon Lawrence die?
- A: Dr. Halcyon Lawrence died of colon cancer on October 31, 2023.
- Q: When and where is the memorial service for Dr. Halcyon Lawrence?
- A: The memorial service for Dr. Halcyon Lawrence will be held on November 15, 2023 at 4 p.m. at the Ferst Center for the Arts on the Georgia Tech campus.
- Q: How can I donate to the Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Memorial Fund?
- A: You can donate to the Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Memorial Fund at Georgia Tech Foundation by visiting this [link] or mailing a check to Georgia Tech Foundation, Inc., 760 Spring Street NW, Suite 400, Atlanta, GA 30308-1031. Please indicate “Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Memorial Fund” in the memo line.