Robert Hansen Wife was a notorious serial killer who confessed to murdering at least 17 women in Alaska between 1971 and 1983. He was also a married man who had two children and ran a bakery business. His wife, Darla Henrichsen Hansen, was unaware of his dark and violent side for years, until he was arrested and exposed by the police. In this article, we will explore the life and relationship of Robert Hansen and his wife, and what happened to them after his conviction.
Robert Hansen Wikipedia
Robert Hansen was born in 1939 in Iowa, where he had a troubled childhood. He was bullied at school for his stutter and acne, and abused by his domineering father. He developed a passion for hunting and archery, which he later used to kill his victims. He also had a history of arson, theft, and fraud, for which he served time in prison.
He married his first wife in 1960, but she divorced him after six months when he was jailed for burning a bus garage. He married his second wife, Darla, in 1963, and moved with her to Anchorage, Alaska, in 1967. There, he opened a bakery and became a respected member of the community. He also obtained a pilot’s license and a small plane, which he used to fly to remote areas for hunting.
However, Hansen had a dark and twisted side that he hid from his family and friends. He was a serial rapist and killer who preyed on young women, especially prostitutes and strippers. He would lure them with money or force them at gunpoint, then take them to his home, where he would rape and torture them. He would then fly them to a cabin in the wilderness, where he would release them and hunt them down like animals. He would also keep trophies from his victims, such as jewelry and clothing.
Hansen’s killing spree came to an end in 1983, when one of his victims, Cindy Paulson, managed to escape and report him to the police. The police found evidence in his home and plane, including a map that marked the locations of his victims’ bodies. Hansen confessed to killing 17 women, but the actual number could be higher. He was sentenced to 461 years in prison without parole.
Robert Hansen Wife: The Woman Who Lived with a Serial Killer
Darla Hansen Wikipedia
Darla Hansen was born in 1942 in Arkansas, where she grew up in a religious family. She earned a master’s degree in education and became a teacher. She met Robert Hansen in 1963, when he was working as an assistant drill instructor at a police academy. They married soon after and moved to Alaska in 1967. They had two children, a son and a daughter.
Darla was a devoted wife and mother who supported her husband and his bakery business. She was also a devout Christian who attended church regularly. She was unaware of her husband’s crimes and believed that he was a good man who loved her and their children. She stood by him when he was arrested for minor offenses, such as theft and assault, and visited him in jail. She also tried to help him overcome his problems with counseling and prayer.
However, Darla was shocked and devastated when she learned that her husband was a serial killer. She said that she knew he was up to no good, but she never imagined that he was murdering all these women. She said that she only thought that he was visiting prostitutes, which she disapproved of, but tolerated. She said that she never saw any signs of his violent and sadistic nature, and that he never abused her or their children.
Darla was also humiliated and ostracized by the public and the media, who blamed her for not knowing or stopping her husband’s crimes. She and her children faced harassment and bullying at school and work. She decided to divorce Robert and sell their house and bakery in Alaska. She moved back to Arkansas with her children, where she lived near her family. She changed her name and tried to rebuild her life.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is Robert Hansen now?
- Robert Hansen died in 2014 at the age of 75, while serving his sentence at the Spring Creek Correctional Center in Alaska. He had been suffering from various health issues, including diabetes and kidney failure.
- Where is Darla Hansen now?
- Darla Hansen is still alive and living in Arkansas, under a different name. She is in her late 70s and has grandchildren. She has not spoken publicly about her ex-husband or his crimes since the 1980s.
- How did Robert Hansen choose his victims?
- Robert Hansen targeted young women who were vulnerable and marginalized, such as prostitutes, strippers, runaways, and tourists. He preferred women who had long hair and slender bodies. He also avoided women who had tattoos, piercings, or scars, because they would make them easier to identify.
- How did Robert Hansen get caught?
- Robert Hansen was caught in 1983, when one of his victims, Cindy Paulson, escaped from his custody and ran to a nearby truck driver, who took her to the police. She gave a detailed description of Hansen, his car, his plane, and his home. The police obtained a search warrant and found evidence that linked him to the murders, such as a map, a rifle, a knife, and jewelry. Hansen initially denied the charges, but later confessed after a plea bargain.